Prologue is a structured peer advisory group for business owners who are considering a change in the way they are involved in their businesses. Group members have reached a point in their careers where they are beginning to explore alternatives and would like to discuss options with other business owners who are at a similar stage in life. Groups consist of 8-12 members and are carefully formed to avoid conflicts of interest and to match members with similar goals.
Discussion topics are tailored to the specific interests of the group, but may include:
- Changing your involvement with your business and the challenges it presents
- Forming a vision for change
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of managers, owners, and family and how these groups work together
- Identifying how the interests of the owners and the business are balanced and the challenges of transferring the role of “balancer”
- The distinction between power and control and how each is exercised in families and businesses
- Identifying the values, needs, and goals you want considered in any change
- Assessing the existing systems used for decision making and interactions and how those system will serve the vision
- How to use an Owners’ Plan and a Strategic Plan to manage the transition, your involvement, and the business
- The stages of change associated with the transition of leadership
- Recognizing the unique aspects of each family situation and how to talk to others about your interest in transitioning your role
Larry D. Hause, J.D.
Larry Hause has extensive experience in helping families transition and continue their family businesses. Having grown up in a family business, Larry knows first-hand how the business and family are intertwined. He earned his law degree from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Law and is admitted to the Minnesota Bar (1984). Larry is of Counsel with the Minneapolis law firm Fredrikson & Byron, P.A., where he practiced for many years in the areas of Family Business, Trusts & Estates, Tax Planning & Business Organization, and Corporate Governance & Investigations.
Larry is a frequent presenter and guest lecturer on family business governance and business and wealth transition issues. He is a Fellow with the Family Firm Institute, Co-author of the curriculum for The Board School, Recipient of the Family Firm Institute’s 2010 Interdisciplinary Award, recognizing outstanding achievement in the advancement of the interdisciplinary services to business families, and author of The Balance Point (Famille Press, 2008).
Iris Cornelius, Ph.D., L.P.
Iris Cornelius, President of Cornelius & Associates, is a business consultant with 30 years of experience working with businesses, community leaders and family organizations. Dr. Cornelius specializes in collaborative consulting, working with clients and their existing advisors to develop their values, goals and vision. She focuses on clear communications and interpersonal relationships. She received her undergraduate degree from Brown University, her Ph.D. from the University of Washington and post-graduate training in mediation and management. Dr. Cornelius is a former faculty member of the University of Minnesota and Macalester College. She is a Regent of St. John’s University and a Board member of the St. Paul Foundation and the Minnesota Board of Law Examiners. She is affiliated with St. Thomas University through the Centre for Family Enterprise, the A.K. Rice Institute for Study of Authority, Leadership and Group Process, and the Family Firm Institute.
Group Meets Monthly: September through June, except December.
Location:Balance 7401 Metro Blvd, Suite 400 Edina, Minnesota 55439
For more information or to reserve a place in the group, please call 952.681.7125
or email email@example.com